Tuesday, December 11, 2012

In Front of the Silver Screen-Stranger Than Fiction

Stranger than Fiction is easily one of the most interesting films I've ever seen. It's incredibly post-modern, and deals with many interesting things. From an ethical standpoint, from a literary standpoint, and even from an odd crossroads of the two: the ethics of an author. Is it good to only write a character so you can kill them off?

The characters are all great. They're written well, and the already impressive cast all provide fantastic performances. A special note goes to Will Ferrel, who played outside his comfort zone so well that I personally feel it's his best performance ever. The arc his character goes through is fantastic, and he's one of my favorite protagonists from film. If I had to file a complaint, it would be that the baker character, who is quite important, disappears for about a half hour in the middle.

The special effects are used perfectly with the main character. The editting is similarly good, leaving in scenes of characters often enough for them to stick in my memory, before pulling them all out at once in the best moment.

This is my favorite Romantic-Comedy, maybe my favorite Romantic film, and in the running for one of my favorite films period. If you have not seen this film, you're doing yourself a disservice. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment